Philadelphia Muralist Training Program dates and application available!
Schedule: Wednesdays, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Zoom
Dates: March 2,9,16,23,30, & April 6, 2022
Bonus in person production session TBD.
This application-based opportunity is subsidized by other training offered by the Institute with the goal of building the capacity of artists in Philadelphia. The fee to participate is just $250 per individual and includes some supplies.
Submit your application online here by February 11, 2022
Notification of Acceptance: February 16, 2022
Completion of Registration by: February 21, 2022
This training program is designed for local artists who are representative of the diverse communities of Philadelphia and are interested in adapting their skills to public community-based mural making. It offers a cohort-based experience where artists learn and explore together:
- A comprehensive overview of the community mural-making process – from contracts and developing a community engagement strategy to design issues and mural production.
- Instruction on mural-making techniques, the “cloth” (polytab) method, and production materials and best practices.
- An opportunity to acquire hands-on skills and share your work.
Space is limited. Applications will be considered based on the following criteria:
- Quality of the portfolio and skill level
- Demonstrated dedication to local, regional Philadelphia, community-based work and issues
Special consideration will be given to:
- Lived experience as or demonstrated deep allyship with Black, Indigenous, People of Color, queer, trans, disabled, and/or working class folks in Philadelphia.
- Historical institutional exclusion from traditional spaces of artist training and education.