Philadelphia Muralist Training Program will take place again this winter with dates and details forthcoming.
Tentatively, it will take place in February 2022, over a 4 to 5 week period, virtually with *if possible* one in person production-focused session.
(Local, hybrid, acceptance by application only)
This training program is designed for local artists who are representative of the diverse communities of Philadelphia and are interested in adapting their skills to public community-based mural making. It offers a cohort-based experience where artists learn and explore together:
- A comprehensive overview of the community mural-making process – from contracts and developing a community engagement strategy to design issues and mural production.
- Instruction on mural-making techniques, the “cloth” (polytab) method, and production materials and best practices.
- An opportunity to acquire hands-on skills and share your work.
Space is limited. Applications will be considered based on the following criteria:
- Quality of the portfolio and skill level
- Demonstrated dedication to local, regional Philadelphia, community-based work and issues
Special consideration will be given to:
- Lived experience as or demonstrated deep allyship with Black, Indigenous, People of Color, queer, trans, disabled, and/or working class folks in Philadelphia.
- Historical institutional exclusion from traditional spaces of artist training and education.
Check back in November 2021 for application information and submission link.
The Mural Arts Institute does not provide training in drawing, painting or portfolio development for muralists just starting out. Check out our Arts Education Program (High School Level) or look into local programs at places such as Fleisher Art Memorial and other community art centers near you.