Celebration of an eight-story mural depicting team greats & history takes place during Phillies Toyota Alumni Weekend festivities
It’s phinally here! After years of careful planning and meticulous work, The Phillies and the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Philadelphia are excited to announce the public dedication of The Phillies Mural on Saturday, August 1, at 11:30 a.m. on the Walnut Street Bridge between 23rd Street & Schuylkill Avenue (festivities begin at 11 a.m.). Wear your Red & White or Phillies attire to the dedication!
The FREE event will be part of the Phillies Toyota Alumni Weekend fan festivities and feature members of the Philadelphia Phillies organization, including Phillies alumni, the Phillie Phanatic and Phillies Ballgirls, Mural Arts leadership, city officials, and other VIPs.
FUNDED BY: The Philadelphia Phillies, The 25th Century Foundation, The City of Philadelphia, and The Karp Family
- The Walnut Street Bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. (between 23rd Street & Schuylkill Avenue).
- Fans are encouraged to take public transportation, bike, or walk, to the ceremony if possible.
- Fans planning to take public transportation are advised to check http://www.septa.org/ for alerts prior to travel, due to construction in the vicinity of the bridge.
- Fans planning to drive, are advised to park in nearby surface lots, parking garages, or find regular “street parking.”
- Fans needing special accommodations can be dropped off at 23rd & Walnut Streets.
- Fans will need to be prepared to walk an average of 2-3 blocks to the ceremony site from the closest access point.
- No vehicles (other than emergency services) will be permitted across the Walnut Street Bridge as of 11 a.m.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The eight-story Phillies Mural includes players, ballparks, and events from the Phillies’ history. It highlights the team’s two World Series victories (1980 and 2008), and also features 30 prominent players, hall-of-famers, playoff runs, perfect games, the Phillie Phanatic, fans, and more.
Installation of The Phillies Mural has been completed and a public dedication is planned for August 1.
The Phillies Mural was created by award-winning Mural Arts artist and lifetime Phillies fan, David McShane, who also created the baseball-themed murals Tribute to Jackie Robinson in North Philadelphia, and Philadelphia Stars: A Tribute to Negro League Baseball in West Philadelphia.
“I am so excited that The Phillies Mural is in its final stage of completion, and can’t wait to join fans on August 1 for the big dedication,” said David McShane. “Players, Phillies fans, and the entire Philadelphia community all played a huge part in painting the 3,750 square-foot mural and I look forward to celebrating with the many individuals who contributed to this historic project.”
Jane Golden, Executive Director of the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Philadelphia said, “With over 3,600 murals to date that Mural Arts has created, there are few that stir the passion of such a wide variety of Philadelphians. We look forward to bringing Phillies fans and mural fans together on August 1 to celebrate this wonderful project.”
“We are honored that Mural Arts Philadelphia and David McShane will dedicate a mural to the game of baseball, the Phillies and the many legends who have played for us in our great city,” said Phillies Senior Vice President Dave Buck. “Featuring some of the greatest moments in Phillies history, this mural will serve as a lasting tribute to our fans.”